Changing Textiles: Upcycling, Recycling, Remaking, Reimagining and Reusing
MEDATS Annual Conference
07 May 2022 13:00 (with AGM at 12:30) UK time *To be held online*
Call for Papers
The Medieval Dress and Textile Society invites proposals for 20 minute papers on the theme of ‘Changing Textiles’, relating to the period c.400 – c.1625.
Topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Surviving garments and textiles that have been re-tailored, re-worked, mended, or altered.
- ‘Handed down’ textile objects that illustrate a genealogy of intergenerational wearers.
- Textiles which have been given a second life as something completely different from their original purpose.
- Second-hand textile and garment trades and consumers.
- Garments and textiles made from recycled materials or waste products from other industries.
- Curation and conservation of textiles or relevant works of art which have been altered in the past.
- Clothing and textiles that have been recreated or reimagined in other periods than their own.
- Textile objects that have travelled across boundaries between nations and cultures, and been given different lives in new places.
Please submit a 200 word (approx.) abstract explaining the subject matter of your paper to Events Secretary, Natalie Bramwell-Booth, at firstname.lastname@example.org, by 07 March 2022.
(Image: liturgical vestments reworked into a funeral pall, The Yatton Pall, St Mary, Yatton, Somerset. Photo credit: Challe Hudson.)